March 21st is the International poetry day.
I'm not a great poet( I guess with hardly 4 poems to my credit,I don't even deserve to call myself a poet), but I do love to read poetry. My favorites being Emily Dickinson, Robert Frost, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and how can i forget Harivansh Rai Bachchan....

Back on memory lanes...I had always wanted to to become a poet...(one of my many childhood fantasies).
As a kid I used to love scribbling random things in my notebook. I used to read the poems in my textbook and would want to write one myself. There was one particular poem about the first rainy day, which I liked a lot. I used to imagine that situation wherein the poet must have penned it down. So that monsoon, even I decided to write a poem on rains. i took a pen and sat by the window watching the rain. I observed every little thing- the tiny rivulet the noise of the falling water, the battering of window panes, the little puppies running hitherto to find shelter and with the melange of all this gave birth to my first poem. What a proud feeling that was ! I compared myself to that poet and dreamed of publishing a collection of poems.... Time passed, academic pressure increased and it that dream of mine faded away.
Anyways, I would like to share one of my favorite poems here :

A moving tribute to Pilots all over....

High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untresspassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.



Pilot Officer Gillespie Magee
No 412 squadron, RCAF
Killed 11 December 1941

This young officer died very young, and this here is perhaps the only poem he ever wrote...